Knights and Modern Jet Airplanes
Hermeskeil is characterized by a countryside of timber forest, valleys and lakes. The surrounding natural landscape invites the visitor to go for a stroll to discover a country with romantic charm and original aura. Incidentally you will breathe the freshest air in the country while pursuing your leisure occupation.
The town of Hermeskeil is located in the Hunsrück holiday region, approximately 52 km to the southwest of Frankfurt-Hahn Airport (see map on bottom of page).
The Hunsrück is one of the nine holiday regions of Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate. The Hunsrück holiday region is one of Germany's most richly forested areas. Surrounded by the river scenery of the Rhine, the Moselle, the Saar and the Nahe, it is criss-crossed by an extensive network of trails where walkers follow in the footsteps of the Celts and the Romans. There are also quaint little country towns, castles and old mills to visit. ... read more about the Hunsrück holiday region
- Castle Grimburg
- The castle was built in 1190 by the archbishop of Trier. It served as seat of over 40 townships. In the 14th century town ordinances and privileges were granted. In 1522 castle Grimburg was conquered by Franz von Sickingen. In the following years witch trials were held here. In 1978 partial reconstruction of the castle began and today visualizes the dimensions of the castle. Guided tours available on request. The castle is open all-year round.
- Memorial ‘SS Concentration Camp Hinzert’
- Unfortunately Nazi-Germany left its marks on the region. The Concentration Camp Hinzert was scene for crimes of the Nazi-Dictatorship between 1939 and 1945. Today, you will find here a memorial of importance on an European scale. It was established by the State of Rhineland-Palatinate to remind one of the crimes that have taken place here. The memorial informs in four languages about victims and perpetrators. The focus of interest are the penance chapel built in 1948, the memorial of prisoner Lucien Wercollier and the French cemetery were the victims of the concentration camp were buried in 1946. Displays explain the coherence and inform about the National Socialists and their crimes. The newly opened ‘Begegnungshaus’ houses a documentation and exhibition of the history. Guided tours available on request.
- Dam ‘Primstal’
- The dam was built between 1977 and 1982. Dam Primtal is the largest reservoir in Rhineland-Palatinate. Because it is a reservoir for drinking water, water sports and swimming are forbidden. But it is the ideal location for a walking tour. Footpaths — with a total length of 12 km — surround the dam. Worth seeing is the ‘Planetenwanderweg’ with a length of 5.9 km.
- Celtic Hillfort (Ringwall) in Otzenhausen
- A prehistoric monument with Celtic origin. It is one of the remarkable historic monuments in Europe from the era of the Celts. Built in the first century BC. Because of the impressive size of the rampart (10 metres in height, 2.2 km in length) and the extraordinary location in the scenery, it is popular among excursionists. Guided tours available on request.
- Eichhof Farm (Der Eichhof) in Reinsfeld
- A shopping paradise for local produce. This farm offers original products made in in the Hunsrück. Experience how animals are reared on the farm. Enjoy the many local culinary specialities offered here.
- Züscher Hammer
- A historic iron foundry from 1698. Near the villages Neuhütten and Züsch. Reconstructed in 1983. Today, the large hammer is operated to demonstrate the craftsmanship. Guided tours available on request.
- Fire Brigade Museum
- In 2014 the new Fire Brigade Museum ‘Rheinland-Pfälzisches Feuerwehr Erlebnis-Museusm’ opened in April. The museum exhibits German and foreign fireman uniforms from several decades. On display is equipment of the fire brigade, for example fire extinguisher, safety equipment, breathing apparatus, and much more. Reproduction of scenarios demonstrate the work routine of fireman. Among the exhibits is equipment from 1889 and fire engines from 1943 - 1950.
- Air Museum in Hermeskeil
- On over 80.000 square metres of exhibition grounds and four exhibition halls, the Air Museum in Hermeskeil is the largest private aircraft museum in Europe. The exhibits show historic gliders (Lilienthal) down to modern jet planes. Among the 106 original aircrafts you will find the JU52, Phantom Fighter, and MIG 23. A historic monument is the ‘Super-Constellation’ aeroplane that flew former German Chancellor Konrad Adenauer to Moskau in 1955. In addition, a broad range of motors, jet engines and technical details are on display. Enjoy this exciting museum. Open from first of April to first of November.
- Museum of Local History (Hochwaldmuseum)
- The museum gives you an insight into 3,000 years of local history of the region. Experience vivid displays that tell you the history of early settlements, medieval ages and the history of the town Hermeskeil and its surrounding neighbourhood. The museum shows how people lived here centuries ago, how they produced their tools, and how they grew flax. It gives you insights into farming, trade, jewellery craft and housework of former times. Guided tours available on request.
- Museum of the Natural Park Saar-Hunsrück
- Experience nature, countryside, animal world and flora in this information centre of the Natural Park in Hermeskeil. Especially children will enjoy the museum and its multimedia displays. Exhibits inform you about the sights around the rivers Saar, Moselle, Nahe and Ruwer. The museum is the ideal starting point for your excursion into the Natural Park Saar-Hunsrück. The friendly staff of the museum will help you to plan your trip.
- Castle and Witch Museum (Burg- und Hexenmuseum)
- The museum exhibits archaeological findings that were discovered at Castle Grimburg. The exhibits consist of pieces of pottery, tiles, cast iron, stove plates, stone ornaments, and small finds. Displays give detailed information about the history of the castle. A special area of the museum is dedicated to the time of witch-hunting and witch trials that were held in the region throughout the 16th century.
Experience nature, countryside, animal world and flora in the Natural Park Saar-Hunsrück. Hermeskeil is an ideal starting point for your excursion into the Natural Park Saar-Hunsrück. A beautiful countryside along the Saar Valley, the timber forests of the Hunsrück Region and the Erbeskopf (a famous area for winter sports). Exhibits at the information centre in Hermeskeil inform you about the sights and recreational facilities around the rivers Saar, Moselle, Nahe and Ruwer. Especially children will enjoy the information centre and its multimedia displays. All over the park you will find further information centres in Weiskirchen, Erbeskopf, Wildenburg, Nohfelden, and Wallerfangen-Ginsingen. The friendly staff at these information centres will help you to plan your trip, give you details about top sights and all the information about the foothpaths in the park.
Castle Grimburg: Built in 1190, partial reconstruction of the castle began in 1978 and today visualizes the dimensions of the castle. Our guided tour will explain to you the details of the castle and living conditions in the medieval ages. Guided tours are available for groups and children.
Züscher Hammer (Iron Foundry): A historic iron foundry from the year 1698. Experience the work conditions of the iron industry in the 17th century. See the large hammer in action and get a demonstration of the craftsmanship.
Celtic Castle (Keltenburg): One of the most remarkable historic monuments in Europe from the era of the Celts. The size of the rampart (10 metres in height, 2.2 km in length) and the extraordinary location in the scenery make this guided tour impressive. Guided tours are available all year round.
Memorial ‘SS Concentration Camp Hinzert’: The guided tour takes you back to the year 1938, when the Nazi dictatorship left its marks on the region. The guided tour takes you through the memorial and explains you the frightful history of the camp, the National Socialists and their crimes.
Smuggler Trails around Gusenburg: Make a journey into past times. This guided walking tour takes you along the old smuggler routes at the former French-German border. Listen to the old tales of smugglers and enjoy a ride in a covered wagon and the visit of the blacksmith's shop in Gusenburg.
Dollbergschleife: This Walking tour will take you along the interesting "Züscher Hammer", along the dam "Primstal" and along the celtic hillfort in Otzenhausen.
Königsfeldschleife: This Walking tour offers you great views over the countryside and you can experience the fascinating history of the "Hunsrückbahn".
Rockenburger Urwaldpfad: This Walking tour is ambitious and diversified. Enjoy the great views.
Frau Holle: The highlight of this Waling tour is a beaver dam.
Timber Forest Trip with a Covered Wagon: Groups are cordially welcome. During your stay in our region you may enjoy an eventful program. We will help you to plan your activities and arrange for you excursions in the region, sightseeing-tours and guided walking tours. Catering services are available on request and will be arranged according to your requirements. Or how about a schnapps tasting in combination with a rustic meal? Enjoy our local culinary specialities at the distillery.
Open Air Swimming Pool: The swimming pool consists of a sport pool (dimensions: 50 m x 16 m), a pool for nonswimmers (dimensions: 40 m x 20 m), and a pool with diving boards (dimensions: 10 m x 12 m; diving boards: 1 m, 3 m, 5 m). Or enjoy the 100 metres long water chute. In addition, playground and leisure facilities for volleyball, soccer, table tennis, and chess are available.
Indoor Swimming Pool: Experience the 40 metres long water chute, have fun with your children in the "mother and child" area, relax at the grotto and the indoor stream. Or how about enjoying the whirlpool, waterfall, fountain, water massage and the solarium. It is a lot of fun for the whole family.
Cycling Path (Ruwer-Hochwald-Radweg): This cycle path takes you along an old railroad line. The track has been converted to a cycle path that will take you through the Ruwer Valley from Hermeskeil to Trier. With a total length of 50 km, the cycle path takes you along a picturesque landscape. It is a paradise for cyclists, skaters, and ramblers.
Winter Sports: Hermeskeil offers plenty opportunities for winter sports. Nearby you will find several winter sports areas. Whatever you prefer: skiing, cross-country, skating, or toboggan runs. You will find it here.
Horseback Riding: Ride horseback over the timber forest and beautiful landscape of the Hunsrück Region. Let your horse watch the trail while you enjoy the scenery. You will find several pony ranches and stables near Hermeskeil.
Spiel- und Sportpark: The park offers tennis, bowling and badminton.
There is always something happening — whether it is art, music, wine festivals or a host of other activities. The Events Finder gives you an overview about what is on, where and when. Here you can search for events and festivals in the region.
Here you have direct access to the online accommodation reservation service of the Tourist Board of Rhineland-Palatinate. No other hotel reservation system on the Internet offers you such a broad and comprehensive list of accommodation in Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate regions. You can list accommodation, search accommodation, contact accommodation establishments and make online reservations.
Frankfurt-Hahn Airport has no direct railway connection. However, the buses from the airport will take you to the railway stations in Koblenz, Trier, Mainz, Frankfurt Main Airport, Frankfurt Main City, Kirn, Idar-Oberstein and Saarbrücken where you can connect with Deutsche Bahn trains or local transport links.