Thalfang am Erbeskopf
Low Mountain Range & Winter Sports
The holiday region of Thalfang am Erbeskopf is located in the Hunsrück low mountain range between the Mosel, Nahe and Saar Rivers. With its picturesque locations and important historical monuments, it counts among Germany’s most beautiful mountain range landscapes. The distinctive preservation of customs and tradition in its surrounding areas makes the region genuinely appealing. The landscape around Thalfang is the ideal space for active rejuvenation for young and old. In Winter it is a famous holiday destination because of its close proximity to the Erbeskopf Winter Sports Area.
The town of Thalfang am Erbeskopf is located in the Hunsrück holiday region, approximately 36 km to the southwest of Frankfurt-Hahn Airport (see map on bottom of page).
The Hunsrück is one of the nine holiday regions of Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate. The Hunsrück holiday region is one of Germany's most richly forested areas. Surrounded by the river scenery of the Rhine, the Moselle, the Saar and the Nahe, it is criss-crossed by an extensive network of trails where walkers follow in the footsteps of the Celts and the Romans. There are also quaint little country towns, castles and old mills to visit. ... read more about the Hunsrück holiday region
Thalfang am Erbeskopf is a land of forests, meadows and valleys. Its natural beauty is fascinating. The picturesque landscape can be explored on foot along 350 km of well-marked hiking trails, or by mountain bike or car via the ‘Hunsrückhöhenstrasse’ (the scenic route).
Walks, extensive hikes along marked hiking trails, running, jogging, cycling, horseback riding and drawn carriage rides in the expansive Saar-Hunsrück Natural Park represent only some of the broad spectrum of active recreational activities you can undertake in Thalfang.
Your children are important to the hosts in Thalfang! That’s why many facilities provide children’s playgrounds, barnyards, pony riding, carriage rides, petting zoos or swimming facilities with a ‘Mother & Child’ area. The family-friendly holiday region of Thalfang am Erbeskopf provides a smorgasbord of opportunities and facilities, for example, the summer tobogganing course at Erbeskopf — Germany’s safest and most modern summer tobogganing course. Or the Barefoot Trail in Thalfang — healthy, lively fun all in one or also the ‘Mineral Water Nature and Adventure Trail’ with many exciting stations for ‘do-it-yourself-ers’!
- Mount Erbeskopf
- Nearby Erbeskopf — the Rhineland-Palatinate region’s highest mountain at 816 m above sea level — can be explored along the ‘Gipfelsteig Erbeskopf’, a theme path where nature lovers can discover magnificent views of the valley, lush forests, valuable biotopes and close-up contact with rare animals and plants. The ‘Gipfelsteig Erbeskopf’ has a medium level of difficulty, and posted signs provide a wealth of information about this cultural landscape. The path is divided into one short route (4 km long requiring around 90 minutes) and one long route (8.5 km long requiring around 2 ½ hours). The starting point of the ‘Gipfelsteig Erbeskopf’ is the Hunsrückhaus.
- Erbeskopf Summer Tobogganing Course
- Leisure fun for young and old can be found at the Erbeskopf summer tobogganing course. From May to November, the ski slope is transformed into a tobogganing course. Its high-tech sleds race downhill up to speeds of 40 kph on aluminium rails with a course length of 747 metres. The tobogganing course promises to be an exciting experience, thanks to the special steering mechanism that makes the curves an exhilarating pleasure while ensuring that the ride is especially attractive and safe. Great fun for all!
- Hunsrückhaus with Sensory Trail
- Hunsrückhaus am Erbeskopf offers fun and relaxation all year round. The exciting, interactive Hunsrückhaus exhibition makes Hunsrücks’ landscape and natural surroundings come to life. On the ‘Sinnespfad’, or ‘Sensory Trail’, visitors can listen to the humming of a stone, experience the sound of wood or observe light through a glass prism. Hunsrückhaus’ scheduled program offers a variety of interesting insights into nature and the environment through excursions, lectures, seminars and workshops.
- Thalfang Barefoot Trail
- One particularly special natural experience is the ‘Thalfang Barefoot Trail’, guarantying fun, relaxation and an unforgettable festival for the senses! This 1.6 km long trail traverses over meadow paths, the widest variety of floorings, through water, mud and over various balancing devices. This natural foot reflex zone massage stimulates the organism and activates the body’s natural defences, providing wellness not just for the feet, but for the whole body for every member of the family.
- Mineral Water Nature & Adventure Trail
- The ‘Mineral Water Nature and Adventure Trail’ is unique in Germany. It follows the trail of the water springing from the depths of the Haardt Forest, known in German as the ‘Haardtwald’. The Haardtwald, located at the northern edge of Thalfang, houses a valuable treasure: Fresh spring mineral water direct from nature! This adventurous path travels through a number of stations with information signs about the Haardtwald spring, past the impressive Berger Wacken rock formation and opening onto astonishing views of the majestic landscape. The trail can be taken along the longer route (7.5 km requiring around 90 minutes) or a shorter route (4.5 km requiring around 1 hour).
- Mountain Bike Route
- Those preferring to active explore the area by mountain bike can look forward to cycling along the special mountain bike route known as ‘Thalfang Rad Aktiv’. Here you can conquer the heights of the Hunsrück. With a total length of 41 km, your task is to master a height difference of 1,300 m. The route leads from Thalfang to the 818 m high Erbeskopf and back, winning your respect and draining the last ounce of vitality right out of your legs!
- Equestrian and Carriage Sports
- For lovers of equestrian and carriage sports, this holiday region has lots to offer. Thalfang itself hosts two riding stables, both offering riding instruction outside and in the hall. Or hop into a carriage and take a journey of discovery to wondrous viewpoints, unspoiled nature and rustic villages with cosy guesthouses.
- Sculpture of Natures Sound
- This unusual sculpture was designed by C. Mancke. The steel and wood construction captures the sound that is created by nature. Walking through the sculpture will let you experience the music of nature. Each weather plays its own 'song'. From the viewing platform at the top of the scultpure, you'll have a picturesque view of the Hunsrück low mountain range.
Winter sports enthusiasts can enjoy every snowy delight from alpine skiing to tobogganing to cross-country skiing in Erbeskopf. The floodlighting allows you to continue into the late evening, and in the face of uncooperative temperatures, the modern snow-making system guarantees you top slope conditions. There are alpine skiing starting slopes available with two 800 m long ski-lifts and a halfway-lift. Plus, there’s a skiing school and ski and snowboard rental facilities. Cross-country skiers can choose between different tracked runs and a course over 35 km in length. Families with children can look forward to the 600 metres long tobogganing course, promising a great experience for thrill-seekers of all ages and sizes.
In Thalfang, a water-world awaits young and old. Relax in the ultra-modern Recreation and Health Centre and pamper yourself with steam baths and saunas. Even the smallest visitors can enjoy themselves in the heated wading pool. In the summertime, the sun terrace and the extensive play and sunbathing area ensure the necessary fresh air enjoyment. The sauna facilities await you with a Finnish block house sauna, warm air bath, steam bath, natural stone outside shower, a variety of ‘quiet rooms’ and an attractive outside area.
There is always something happening — whether it is art, music, wine festivals or a host of other activities. The Events Finder gives you an overview about what is on, where and when. Here you can search for events and festivals in the region.
Here you have direct access to the online accommodation reservation service of the Tourist Board of Rhineland-Palatinate. No other hotel reservation system on the Internet offers you such a broad and comprehensive list of accommodation in Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate regions. You can list accommodation, search accommodation, contact accommodation establishments and make online reservations.